Jeff Thomas represents clients in commercial litigation matters, including securities litigation, partnership disputes, shareholder claims, breach of contract cases, and employment disputes. Much of his litigation practice is dedicated to defending clients in investigations and litigation by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and other securities regulators.
Given his extensive commercial and securities background, Jeff also represents clients in business and transactional matters, including entity formation, exempt securities offerings, corporate governance, employment issues, and contract preparation and negotiation. He also advises investment advisers, broker-dealers, and other regulated entities and individuals concerning regulatory and compliance issues.
Jeff spent twelve years as an attorney in the SEC’s Enforcement Division. He also practiced commercial litigation and employment law at the Denver firm of Holland & Hart and the Los Angeles firm of Musick, Peeler & Garrett. He was selected to the 2021, 2022 and 2023 Colorado Super Lawyers list for Securities Litigation. In his personal time, Jeff enjoys skiing, mountain biking, watersports, and spending time with his wife and two daughters.
J.D., University of Southern California School of Law
Southern California Law Review – Articles Editor
B.S., Business, University of Colorado at Boulder
Beta Gamma Sigma – The International Business Honor Society
- 2015 Enforcement Update, Colorado Bar Association, Securities Subsection (February 2015)
- Recent Developments in SEC Enforcement and Regulation, The Colorado Lawyer (February 2014) Vol. 43, No. 2
- SEC Investigations, White Collar Crime Course, University of Denver Sturm College of Law (September 30, 2013)
- SEC and Dodd Frank Act Regulations Compliance: Emerging Issues and Practical Guidance, Knowledge Congress Webcast Series (June 19, 2013)
Licensed to practice law in Colorado and California
Colorado, Denver, California, and American Bar Associations
- Super Lawyers (2021)
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) – Arbitrator
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) – Faculty
- True Impact Ministries – Board Member
- Christian Legal Society of Metro Denver Legal Aid Clinic – Volunteer